Forklift trucks - get your operator's licence!
Working in a warehouse, a hall or a shop with a large area very often requires that the employee has completed a forklift operator course and therefore has the necessary qualifications for the job. The main function of a forklift truck is to move pallets, heavy loads and crates, which means that the person driving the forklift should have the necessary skills, especially in handling the load. There are different types of forklift trucks, which should be selected according to the specifications of the work and also the type of load to be transported. Therefore, it is necessary to have a specialist qualification, which can be obtained by means of a forklift operator course ending with a state examination.
Types of forklift trucks.
Based on function and purpose, forklifts are divided into:
- Front forklifts - in this case the weight of the goods is balanced against the weight of the forklift truck. The goods are lifted by means of an attachment. As far as this particular category is concerned, it is worth distinguishing the off-road forklifts, which perfectly find themselves in all conditions, above all, they are used in difficult conditions.
- Lateral forklifts - have a function that enables side loading, therefore they are most often used for transporting and lifting goods with unusual dimensions. Most often, goods with unusual dimensions should be identified with long, elongated elements. The main characteristics of the side loaders include their manoeuvrability and high reach upwards.
- Telescopic forklifts - due to their high reach, these forklifts are also called telescopic forklifts. Telescopic forklifts are characterised by a high upward reach as well as an impressive lateral reach and a very high load capacity.
- System forklifts - these are fairly new and modern machines, with the right parameters for universal use and a reach of several metres.
- High lift trucks - have a number of unique features including manoeuvrability, extendable mast and compact form.
- Torsion forklifts - are characterised by high manoeuvrability in operation, and are therefore desirable for warehouse work and production halls. In such conditions, multidirectional forklifts are also ideal.
- Hanger-type forklifts - they are usually transported by another vehicle. The forklift truck is attached to the back of a car or transport truck so that the driver can unload the goods himself.
- Platform forklift trucks - their primary use is in the transport of goods. Lifting of loads is possible by using platform trucks with an internal mast.
- Specialised forklift trucks - are used not only for lifting the load, but also for lifting the operator together with the load. Specialised forklift trucks are ideal for all kinds of high storage halls and other places where high precision and control is required.
Who is the forklift course designed for ?
The forklift truck operator course is a great alternative not only for young people seeking employment, but also for older people with previous experience who are looking for a career change. The course gives you the opportunity to gain a wealth of knowledge, both practical and theoretical, and through practical exercises you can work at your own pace and improve your skills. The ability to operate a forklift truck is an integral part of many job offers and is especially required for working abroad. The course is intended for all those who wish to work in warehouses, halls, harbours or manufacturing plants around the world as our qualifications are respected in all EU countries.
Requirements for fork lift truck licence applicants.
The main requirement for a candidate applying for a forklift operator licence is his age, the candidate must be at least 18 years old. In addition to this, an applicant must have a minimum of elementary education. Meeting these requirements gives you the opportunity to take part in a course preparing you to become a specialist forklift operator.
Types of certification that can be obtained after the course.
Completion of the course involves passing the state exam held in the training centre before a commission from the Office of Technical Inspection. After passing the exam, the UDT issues a qualification certificate. The Office of Technical Inspection distinguishes three categories of qualifications for lift trucks, namely:
- WJO equipment category III - guided and remote-controlled lift trucks. This is the lowest type of entitlement and includes the following equipment: lift, tractor and lift trucks controlled from the working level with a drawbar.
- WJO equipment category II - Lift trucks, except specialised ones. The most popular and widespread category of forklift truck authorisations. With the authorisations in this category, it is also possible to operate forklift trucks from WJO category III. The licence covers the operation of all types of lift trucks without any restrictions on weight or height. The licence also allows the operation of side loaders.
- Equipment category I WJO - Specialised lift trucks. In this category, there are two sub-categories: the first one includes special-purpose trucks with variable boom and the second one includes special-purpose trucks lifting both the load and the operator. Qualification in this category allows the operation of all forklifts without limitations.
What is the forklift truck exam like?
The UDT exam is divided into two parts: theoretical and practical. The theoretical part of the exam is conducted in the form of a written test consisting of 15 questions selected from a database of 245 questions. 11 correct answers are required to pass the exam. The practical part takes place on the manoeuvring area under the supervision of the committee. The practical test consists in checking the ability to maneuver a forklift truck while observing health and safety rules.
Period of validity of forklift licences.
Based on the type of equipment, the validity of the licence ranges from 5 to 10 years. A period of 5 years applies to specialised lift truck operators, while a period of 10 years applies to lift truck operators, excluding specialised ones, and to guided and remote-controlled lift trucks.
Our course enables you to prepare for the state exam at the highest level. The course is divided into two parts, a theoretical part and a practical part, allowing you to learn the specific operation of a forklift truck. Practical classes are held on an individual basis, which means that the trainee makes an appointment with the instructor at a convenient time for practical training. The theoretical part consists of many issues, the most important of which are:
- types of forklift trucks
- replacement of LPG cylinders
- loads and their types
- technical supervision
- construction and operation of trolleys
The date of the training can be set individually by e-mail or telephone number on the official website. The training is conducted in Warsaw. You are warmly welcome.